Monday, May 24, 2010

Cod Piccata Paprika


I can't believe I haven't posted this recipe! I've made it several times. It's my new favorite way to enjoy fish.

This recipe is courtesy of Elana and her amazing almond flour cookbook! I usually half the recipe when I make it, as I am the only fish-eater in my house. I think the first time I made it, I ate both servings right away. So much for leftovers :)

Cod Piccata Paprika
(recipe adapted from The Gluten-Free Almond Cookbook)

1 1/2 lbs cod fillet (I've also used halibut)
1/2 c blanched almond flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground smoked paprika
6 tbsp olive oil (she called for 2 tbsp olive oil/4 tbsp grapeseed, but I only had olive)
1 c chicken stock
1/4 c freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 c finely chopped kalamata olives

Rinse fish, dry, and slice into 4 pieces.
In a shallow bowl, combine flour, salt and paprika. Dip the fish in the mixture, and coat well.
Heat half of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute fish in the oil for 3-5 minutes per side, until golden brown (I had lots of coating left over, so I sprinkled it on the fish in the pan). Transfer to a paper towel lined plate, and keep warm.
Using the same skillet, combine chicken stock, lemon juice and olives, stirring with a spatula to loosen the browned bits of coating from the bottom of pan. Raise heat to high, and cook until sauce has reduced by half. Whisk in the remaining oil.
Pour sauce over the fish, and sprinkle with fresh parsley if desired (I didn't have any, so left out the parsley).

I think this recipe is best served with something green (like steamed kale, pictured), as well as something to help soak up the sauce, like rice or quinoa. The flavor can be a bit overpowering if eaten by itself. But it is so good!

No comments: