Friday, May 29, 2009

Pizza!!!



Yes, I've done it! I've created a *good* gluten- and dairy-free pizza! Well, not really created, since I didn't come up with the recipe. But I masterfully copied the recipe, and it actually turned out amazingly. Which is more than I can say to prior attempts at pizza. This is right up there with my memories of Pizza Hut pizza from my childhood, and definitely tied for #1 GF pizza with the one I had in Disney World!
It is my newly-GF cousin's b-day this weekend, and I'm thinking she deserves a pizza party! The boys can have their lame-o glutenous pizza, but we girls will be enjoying something much better :)



Pizza
Gluten/dairy/egg free
Recipe from "1000 Gluten Free Recipes" by Carol Fenster

1 tbsp dry yeast
2 1/2 tsp sugar
2/3 c warm milk (I used soy)
2/3 c potato starch (I used cornstarch)
1/2 c Carol's sorghum blend**
2 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp onion powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp cider vinegar
Shortening for greasing pan (I used Spectrum. Carol recommends against using pan spray for this recipe)
White rice flour for dusting

Proof yeast by mixing with sugar and adding milk to a small bowl. Allow to foam for about 5 minutes.
In food processor/mixer, add all dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients to dry ones, and mix until the dough forms a ball.
Place a rack in the bottom shelf of the oven, and one in the middle. Preheat to 425 degrees F.
Grease a 12 inch nonstick pizza pan (I don't have one, so I just used a baking sheet) w/ shortening.
Place dough on pan and dust with rice flour. Press dough into pan with your hands, using more flour as needed. Try to make the dough as smooth and thin as possible. You can make the edges a little thicker to provide a good crust.
Bake pizza on the bottom rack of the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven. Add toppings of your choice, then bake on the middle rack for 15-20 minutes until nicely browned. Remove from oven, and brush olive oil on the rim of the crust. Let stand for 5 minutes. Serve!
The recipe says it serves 6, but I ate half of it and could have kept going....I'm not sure it will survive the night...
The toppings I used were pizza sauce, canadian bacon, Italian olives, and Tofutti American cheese slices (you know, the individually wrapped ones that are reminiscent of Kraft slices...) I had a few sitting in the bottom of the fridge, and I hadn't found anything I liked them on...but they worked great on the pizza (while it was hot anyway. The cheese took on a different texture/flavor when it was cold).
This recipe is definitely a new staple in my book!

**Carol's Sorghum Blend Flour
1 1/2 c sorghum flour
1 1/2 c potato starch/cornstarch (I can't eat potatoes, so cornstarch is what I use)
1 c tapioca flour

Mix all flours together and store.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so excited about this recipe. How did it go at your cousin's birthday? It looks really good AND it has ingredients that we can eat! no eggs! I am going to make this for my husband's birthday this coming weekend. :)

Diane-The WHOLE Gang said...

Looks really good. I miss pizza. No rice, gluten or dairy for me. This doesn't have any of that. Might have to give this a try!

Stephanie said...

Lifeglutenfree-haven't been able to have the pizza party yet, still coordinating schedules. How did yours turn out for your husband?

Diane-Yes, try it! I love it! Regardless of whether we can get together with my cousin, we're having a pizza party tomorrow night. My husband is ordering one he can eat, so I can have a whole GF pizza to myself :)

Christina said...

Mmmm - jealous!

Anonymous said...

The pizza crust was great. I only made two adjustments so that our daughter could enjoy it too. I used a mix of water and coconut milk instead of soy and I used lemon juice instead of apple cider vinegar. My husband really liked it and so did we. I think I might try letting it rise and punching it down before rolling it out and baking it. It was drier than yours looked (from the picture anyways). I was going to put rice vinegar but I was out, maybe that's why... perhaps the lemon juice wasn't enough.

But all in all, it was really good and we are definitely making it again! We ate it before I could snap a photo, so when I make it again, I will take a picture and post it on my blog as well. I will link to yours since that's how I found out about the recipe!

-heather

Stephanie said...

Heather, I'm so glad everyone liked it! I might try your trick of letting it rise and punching it down. I'm not a scientific baker, I don't understand most of the rules of what I do, I just do them :) I'm not sure whether the lemon juice sub would have made a difference. I'm excited to see your pics as well.
My next ambition is to create a pizza that tastes good without a cheese sub (I'm wondering if Tofutti doesn't agree with me so much).

Iris said...

Mmm....this really makes me want pizza! I haven't gotten that adventurous with gluten-free baking, but this is very inspiring.

Stephanie said...

Lucinda,
My philosophy on GF baking is to always try again, even when you fail, because you'll get it right eventually. There are so many recipes out there to suit everyone's taste :) Hope you give the pizza a try!

Kelly said...

Oh my gosh you are so brave! I've never attempted my own pizza dough! Looks delish!

Anonymous said...

That looks amazing! Pizza is so tasty! :)

Linda said...

For me, pizza is a great comfort food. As long as I can have a good gf pizza once in a while, I don't feel deprived. A recipe that works for you is a great thing to have. I haven't tried this one yet, because I'm so happy with my own, but I might give it a try anyway.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Simply...Gluten-free said...

Looks great! I want some and it is only 9 am!

Linda said...

Thanks for stopping by. I've never actually used sun dried tomatoes, but I will be. Putting them on focaccia bread sounds like a good idea.

Children's books fan said...

I really love your site and all you are sharing here. This is very helpful! I work part-time for the author, Tina Turbin who has a Gluten-free site and Gluten-Free blog. I really think you two should be introduced. I know she recommends other bloggers on her blog page in a special section and I think you would be one she would most definitely be interested in referring. Could you e mail me back please and let me know if you would be interested in referring her link and her referring yours. I will let her know and you two can take it from there. She also reviews products and companies, does interviews and writes numerous Articles. I really think you’d like her! Thanks, Rosie www.GlutenFreeHelp.info

I Am Gluten Free said...

Nice job on the crust! Looks crispy and perfect!

~Ellen