Wednesday, May 04, 2011

What have you been eating lately?


I don't know if anyone really even cares...but I'm gonna share anyway :)

I know a lot of people go through phases of eating patterns. Some of it has to do with the seasons (soups in winter, salads in summer), some has to do with what's available at the store/in the garden. Some of it has to do with what's easy, fast, and/or good.

Even though I haven't been posting a lot of recipes, obviously I have been eating over the past few months. So I thought I'd share a bit of what's been entertaining my dinner plate lately.

I've been trying to eat a lot more fresh foods, ie, veggies. I've been planning a lot more meals around what leafy goodness will be highlighting the meal. It's been a challenge at times, but a lot of fun too. Makes my husband laugh when I come home and make a plateful of kale chips...but have no other ideas of what I'm going to eat for dinner.

Green smoothies have been more prevalent in my daily routine. I'm a big breakfast person, and need lots of fuel to get through the mornings, especially after hitting up the therapy. Most days I'll eat eggs and muffins, or toast w/ hazelnut butter awesomeness.

New love affair.

And yes, I have been known to sneak spoonfuls of this stuff. You might be surprised at the number of spoons lounging around my house right now. Unless you'd tried this butter. Then you'd understand.

After eating breakfast, I'll cram some berries/banana/orange/apple/avocado, almond milk, spinach and chia seeds into my Vita-Mix, liquefy, and pour it all into my favorite starbucks cup, just in time to dash out the door.

On the weekends, I've also indulged in smoothie experiments, such as the chocolate-almond smoothie (easy on the banana, add a handful or two of spinach). I have even got the hubs to drink a couple dreaded green smoothies (added some peanut butter to his). I'm trying to see just how much green stuff I can cram into a smoothie without making it taste like a salad :)

I've been experimenting lately with this great new sugar substitute: Stevia! Look at this fantastic haul that I won from Iris over at The Daily Dietribe!


I'm totally digging the vanilla liquid stevia! It's amazing in chia seed pudding! Which is something else I've been eating a lot of lately. Chia seeds. I love 'em! In smoothies, in puddings, added to hot cereal. More to come on chia seeds...

This chocolate chia pudding recipe has been a staple for me lately. It's soooo good! I was recently given some cacao powder, which I'm enjoying, and have been adding it to this pudding in place of cocoa.


Mayan superfood! Yay!

I also love making the chia seed pudding cacao-free, and adding extra vanilla. Topped with some buckwheaties and berries - trust me, it's the perfect afternoon delight!

Also been eating my favorite staples: avocados, kale (new favorite: kale salad - shred up some kale, drizzle with EVOO, sprinkle w/ S&P, then "massage" everything into the kale for a couple minutes), my favorite GF bread, quinoa, and sweet potatoes.

So, that's about it. I'd love to hear what everyone else is eating!

3 comments:

Heather said...

because of my jaw problems, I've been eating only soft foods like sweet potatoes and mashed potatoes. I've actually turned orange from all the beta carotene in the sweet potatoes I have been eating. Seriously.

I love green smoothies!

My daughter loves kale chips (we make them in the dehydrator) and we've been making lots of fried plantains and baked bananas (all very soft too).

That raw cocao powder looks good

trishtator said...

It's funny - I've been in a similar spot lately - eating lots of the same. We've had gf muffins around (always), but I've been eating a lot of bananas, roasted potatoes, coconut milk kefir (yum), and roasted cauliflower. I've been taking hummus to work for lunch - so good!

I just checked out the chia chocolate pudding - it looks so good. I've actually not played with chia, I haven't seen it locally and hadn't gotten around to buying any online. Maybe now is the time!

Stephanie said...

Heather - you should try mashed turnips! I can't eat potatoes, but I love them, ands these are a good sub. A little different flavored though, to give you some variety.
I'm dying to buy a dehydrator...just keep finding more important things to spend my money on :P
Hope your jaw gets feeling better SOON!

Trish - I love hummus! Can only do small portions for the sake of my tummy, but man, I could eat that stuff every day!

The pudding is great, and so many things you can do with it! I've seen it at both Good Earth and the Sunflower Farmer's Market, at least the ones down here in Utah Valley. It really is such an awesome food!