Thursday, May 26, 2011

Paleo Breakfast Pizza

I know I've mentioned my interest in following a paleo/primal lifestyle on this blog before. It's still an idea that frequently visits my mind. And occasionally I'll pick up and peruse my copy of The Primal Blueprint, which resides in the magazine pile in our bathroom. Mostly I've been too busy to try and change things up lately.

The other day, however, I stumbled across this great blog, and it renewed my interest in paleo/primal eating. The following evening, as I was driving home from a long day at work, doing a mental inventory of edible food in my fridge/pantry, I remembered I had all the ingredients to whip up this quick and easy breakfast pizza. I may have driven a little bit faster in my desire to give this recipe a try.


My version turned out really well! I overcooked my "crust" a bit, I think, but it was still delicious. I would also suggest adding bacon or ham, to give the pizza another dimension of flavor. I think this meal was a bit confusing to my taste buds, as I couldn't decide if it was more "breakfast-y" or more "pizza-ish." In my opinion, bacon would have married the two nicely, as it is a flavor that compliments both dishes.

This is definitely going to be a repeat recipe in my book.


Paleo Breakfast Pizza
Adapted from this recipe

8 eggs, whisked
1/2 tsp (ish) garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp dried basil
A few shakes salt and pepper
1-2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 c marinara/pizza sauce
1/2 lb Italian ground sausage (I used basil chicken sausage)
add BACON here. Lots and lots of bacon!
2 medium tomatoes, sliced
1 c sliced black olives
2+ tbsp nutritional yeast or nooch-eez
Other toppings of your choice

Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a large skillet (my pan is cheap and sucks, so I coated it with pan spray, and added a little less oil).

Combine eggs and seasonings, mixing well. Pour mixture into skillet, cover, and turn heat down to medium. Cook for about 3 minutes. Eggs will be firm on the bottom. Do not stir!

After 3 minutes, remove the lid, and transfer the skillet to the oven. Turn on the broiler, and let broil for about 3 minutes, until the top firms up.

Remove from the oven, and spread the pizza sauce over the surface. Pile on the rest of the toppings, and sprinkle on the nooch.

Return pan to the oven, and broil for an additional 5 minutes.

Slice and serve immediately.



Note: Be sure and use an oven-safe skillet. I don't think mine was. The handle swelled a bit, and it started to smell a little funny in the kitchen.

Also, I don't know how many servings this makes, but I managed to eat half of it in one sitting. Oops ;)


I've shared this recipe over at Simply Sugar & Gluten Free, The Gluten Free Homemaker, and The WHOLE Gang. Check out some great carnivals, filled with amazing recipes!

5 comments:

Linda said...

I think I would like this for breakfast. It's definitely a creative pizza. Thanks for linking it up.

Iris said...

Looks delicious! I'm researching the Paleo diet for school right now, and so far my research has been positive.

Iris said...

Oops, didn't mean to leave my comment there...what I meant to say was that I still have a lot more research to do, but that it's definitely getting my interest. Although I don't think I could ever follow a strict Paleo diet. Any diet that cuts out sweet potatoes would not work for me!

Stephanie said...

Iris, you should look into the "Primal" branch...it's got a lot of the same components of the Paleo diet, but it does allow things like sweet potatoes (a staple in my life as well!).

Nutrapro said...

Glad to see another grass fed fan. Meat and Butter from Grass fed cows is the best.
Grass Fed High Vitamin Butter Oil...........