Friday, August 17, 2012

Favorite Summer Salad

Due to my current condition, gardening has not exactly been at the top of my priority list these days. Thankfully, I have an amazing husband!! A few months back, I dragged him to the Home Depot, and we picked out a handful of veggie and herb plants. He has labored over the garden this summer with diligence that I envy. And it has paid off. I swear I've never seen our garden look so good! So that's what happens when you actually water every day...lol.

Well, everything's growing nicely. The only problem is, I haven't been cooking as much. My herbs especially are exploding, and I am struggling to keep up with the weekly haul.

This salad has been a staple, since it is so fresh, easy, and doesn't require any heat! I must admit, this is one of very few ways that I actually enjoy cucumbers.

I adapted from this recipe over at The Food Lover's Kitchen, which is also in their fantastic cookbook. If you click on the photos on the recipe page, the salad is actually the second one that shows up, and it's gorgeous!

Because I'm a little OCD with my food, I measure out exactly equal parts tomatoes, cucumbers and olives, so I can have a bit of each in every bite, but you can do whatever you would like :)

Cucumber and Tomato Salad
Serves 1

1/2 cup each kalamata olive halves, cucumber chunks, and grape tomato halves
A handful of fresh basil, chopped thinly
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2-1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
A couple shakes of salt
Freshly ground black pepper
A dash of garlic and onion powder

Combine all ingredients in a bowl, and mix well. Serve, and enjoy!

This salad keeps for a few hours, but isn't quite as good the next day, so I make just enough to eat.



Anyone else experiencing an abundance of herbs? How about those zucchini? Get ready for that saga...coming soon ;)

No comments: