Sunday, May 30, 2010

Breakfast Bake

This recipe rocks! Wanna know why? Because it’s gluten free AND dairy free! And you don’t miss either!!!

My mom made something similar to this for holidays like Easter and Christmas breakfasts. We loved it. The original recipe here didn’t use mushrooms soup, just milk, but I think my mom used cream of mushroom soup in her version. So I played around with it, and it totally worked! The first time I made it, I didn’t use the mushroom soup, and it was still really good. So, whatever you prefer and have on hand will work I’m sure.

I’m not such a morning person, and don’t really function without my food in the AM. When I’ve made this, I have set my alarm for about an hour before I need to get up, and I’ll throw this in the oven, then go back to bed. It’s a nice counter to having to get up for work to awaken to the smell of bacon and eggs already made and waiting for you!




Gluten/Dairy Free Breakfast Bake
(adapted from this recipe)

3 cups bread pieces, cubed or ripped*
10 pieces fried and chopped bacon (turkey bacon works pretty good here)
8 eggs (I used half eggs and half egg-whites – the kind that come in a carton)
¾ c fresh unsweetened almond milk/other substitute (recipe here)
¾ c cream of mushroom soup (recipe here)
½ tsp salt
1/3 tsp onion powder
¼ tsp black powder

Grease a glass baking dish/pan. Lightly beat eggs in a large bowl. Add milk and soup, and blend. Whisk in the seasonings, then the bacon. Cover the bottom of the pan with the bread pieces, then pour the egg mixture on top.
Cover pan with foil and refrigerate overnight. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Put covered pan in oven, and bake for an hour. Uncover, and bake for 15 minutes more.
Let cool a few minutes before serving.
Serves 8
(although the last couple days, I've been working out and have been eating more. I might reduce this to 5-6 servings if you're a big breakfast eater)



* I’ve tried this recipe twice, and the first time I used this recipe for almond flour bread. The almond bread was great in this, and added extra protein. The second time I made it, I used this great recipe for bread-for-bread-cubes that I will traditionally use for my stuffing. I think the almond bread was a little heartier, but the sorghum bread was lighter, and melted a little more into the recipe, making it creamier (or else that was the use of the mushroom soup). I am more likely to have a sorghum-based bread on hand, so that’s the one I think I will use most. You could also try one of these great bread recipes. I bet it would be fabulous with a gluten free French bread!

No comments: