Saturday, May 29, 2010

Pumpkin Chai Cranberry Muffins

I know we’re well on our way to summer, and this is more of an autumn/winter recipe. But silly me, I’ve neglected posting it for you all. I literally ate these muffins daily last fall. They are so delicious! Give them a try when you’re in the mood for something wonderfully moist, slightly spicy and reminiscent of a thanksgiving feast. And don’t put off making them for a year like I did! You’ll regret it if you do!

This was originally a bread recipe, but the first time I went to make it, I was too impatient to want to wait for bread to bake, so I converted it to muffins. It makes between 15-18 muffins. I've tried it as a bread, and for some reason, it just wasn't as good. So I definitely recommend the muffin version!
Sadly, I do not have a picture for these, but visit Karina’s post to get a great visual!

Pumpkin Chai Muffins with Cranberries
(adapted from this recipe by the GF goddess)

1 c canned pumpkin
½ c light olive oil
3/4-1 c light brown sugar or ½-2/3 c agave nectar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs, at room temperature
1/3-1/2 c apple cider or orange juice
1 ½ c gluten free flour blend (equal parts buckwheat/sorghum/tapioca work great!)
1 tsp baking soda
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground allspice or cardamom
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground cloves or more ginger

Add-ins
¾ c fresh/frozen cranberries
½ c raisins
½ c chopped pecans/walnuts/almonds
½ c chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease or line muffin cups.
Combine wet ingredients. On top of that, pour in the dry ingredients. Mix the dry ingredients together, then stir into the wet ingredients. Mix until smooth. Use extra liquid or flour to thicken or moisten if needed.
Stir in your add-ins. I preferred mine with the cranberries, nuts and sometimes with chocolate.
Scoop batter into muffin cups, and bake for about 30 minutes. Test with a toothpick or knife.
Remove from muffin pan, and cool on a wire rack.

Best served warm.
These freeze very well.

Quick note: I've found, in general that Karina's recipes are a little more sugary than I like, being hypoglycemic, and needing something somewhat hearty for breakfast. I started with the smaller suggested amount of sugar, and thought they turned out great. But if you like your muffins a bit sweeter, feel free to add the full amount.
I've also had great success subbing applesauce for half of the oil. Try that sometime, it's great and good for you!

No comments: