Sunday, May 30, 2010

Cream of Mushroom Soup

This is a handy little recipe to have available. I made this the other night for my breakfast bake, and doubled the recipe so I could store some in the freezer. I also used fresh mushrooms, and I think they made it a little better. I've made this recipe before with canned ones, and it's still really good. So use what you've got.


Cream of Mushroom Soup
(adapted from the cookbook “Life Tastes Good Again”)

2 tbsp butter/substitute
2 tbsp cornstarch
1/8 tsp salt
Dash pepper
½ c beef broth
½ c almond milk/other milk
3 oz mushrooms (1 can), chopped very fine

Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in cornstarch, salt and pepper. Continue stirring for a couple of minutes, until it starts to brown slightly.
Add the beef broth, then the milk. Stir with a whisk, to eliminate lumps. Bring to a boil, and allow sauce to thicken, while stirring constantly. Add mushrooms. Remove from heat.

This recipe is excellent wherever cream of mushroom soup is needed, and is about the equivalent of a can of the condensed soup. I especially love it in tuna casserole or my new favorite breakfast bake!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Having a gluten intolerance and allergy to potatoes can make buying prepared foods, even in the health food section, impossible. Thanks so much for meeting your diet challenges and sharing your successes.

Anonymous said...

This is delicious! I used ghee for the butter, and I browned the mushrooms with the corn starch, salt, and pepper.

Commonplace Caz said...

This is a grreat blog