Sunday, March 28, 2010

A fantastic bread recipe!


-->
So...my post from yesterday. I was so distraught for not being able to find that bread recipe! As I was lying in bed, at 3 am, it occurred to me that my iPod does indeed have a history button, and if I checked it, I should be able to find the recipe I pulled up last Sunday. So I repeated the thought over and over in my head as I was falling asleep, as I was too tired to get up and check the iPod just then. Sure enough, this morning I found it!! Hooray!

The recipe is from Amy over at Simply Gluten & Sugar Free.
It originates from this recipe by Karina, the Gluten Free Goddess.

I've been making Karina's version for awhile now, and love it. However, last week, I was looking for a heartier, more "whole-wheat-like" gluten free bread. I tried this recipe last Saturday, but it didn't fly. So I moved on. I am so very glad I did! I really love this new bread.

So that I will never forget this recipe again, I am going to post it where it will be easily accessible...as well as for you all to enjoy!


Gluten Free Whole Grain Bread

adapted from Simply Sugar & Gluten Free

2/3 c sorghum flour
1/2 c buckwheat flour
1/2 c millet flour
3/4 c cornstarch
2 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
1 1/4 tsp salt
3/4 c milk/substitute (almond milk works great)
1/2 c water (you can just use all water as well if desired)
1 tbsp instant yeast
3 tbsp sugar (or can use 1-2 tbsp honey or agave)
1/2 c eggwhites (or 2 eggs, beaten), at room temperature
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp cider vinegar
1/2-1 tbsp seeds to top bread (I've used sesame and combination of sesame and flax)

Heat milk/water in a small bowl until it is about 110 degrees F. Mix in the yeast and 1 tbsp sugar (or half of the agave). Cover and let rise for at least 5 minutes.
Mix together the flours, xanthan gum and salt in a stand mixer. Add all the wet ingredients, starting with the yeast. Beat for 1-2 minutes, until everything is mixed well. The consistency will be more like a batter than bread dough.
Pour into a greased loaf pan. Smooth the top using wet fingers or a wet spatula. Top with seeds. Cover with a towel and allow to rise for at least 20 minutes in a warm spot.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake bread for 35-45 minutes, or until it sounds hollow when you tap the top.
You can remove the bread from the oven, take it out of the pan, and cool, or if you like the crust to be a little crustier, you can remove it from the pan and place the loaf on a cookie rack. Return to the oven for about 10 more minutes. Keep an eye on it so it doesn't get too dark.
For best results, let it cool completely before trying to cut.
Makes 1 delicious loaf.

Enjoy!

Notes:
I don't have a bread maker, but you can follow the directions on Amy's site if you have one.
The recipe originally calls for potato starch. I used cornstarch b/c I don't tolerate potatoes.
I used the sugar b/c I was out of agave, and it's worked great both times I've made it.
As with most gluten free breads, this is best when served toasted or warmed. It also holds up pretty well for sandwiches.


doesn't it look amazing??

2 comments:

Linda said...

That bread looks great. It almost looks like any other whole grain bread. I haven't done much bread experimenting lately, but I need to get back to it.

1artsychick said...

oh, yes the bread looks divine!

A local GF friend of mine and I are bread experimenting lately and this looks like one we'll have to try!